Definition of naphthaleneacetic acid
: either of two crystalline naphthyl derivatives C10H7CH2COOH of acetic acid especially : the alpha or 1-compound used as a growth regulator for plants (as for preventing drop of apples before normal harvest time)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?