nail downphrasal verb
nailed down; nailing down; nails down
Definition of nail down
1 : to make (something, such as a victory) certain to happen They need to score another touchdown to nail down the victory.
2 : to find out or identify (something) exactly Her doctors haven't yet been able to nail down a diagnosis. They're trying to nail down the cause of our network problems.
3 : to make (something) definite or final nail down a decision
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game