nail downphrasal verb
nailed down; nailing down; nails down
Definition of nail down
1 : to make (something, such as a victory) certain to happen They need to score another touchdown to nail down the victory.
2 : to find out or identify (something) exactly Her doctors haven't yet been able to nail down a diagnosis. They're trying to nail down the cause of our network problems.
3 : to make (something) definite or final nail down a decision
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game