Definition of muzzle energy
: the energy of impact of a bullet at the velocity developed at the muzzle of the piece and calculated according to the formula ME = 1/7000 V2 ÷ 2g x w where ME represents muzzle energy in foot-pounds, V2 the square of the muzzle velocity in feet per second, g the acceleration due to gravity, and w the weight of the bullet in grains avoirdupois
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game