Definition of muttonfish
: a common snapper (Lutjanus analis) of the warmer parts of the western Atlantic that is usually olive green and sometimes nearly white or tinged with rosy red and that is an important food and sport fish
— called also mutton snapper
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?