Definition of mud lark
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a person who grubs in mud (as in search of stray bits of coal, iron, rope) specifically : an urchin who grubs for a living along the tide flats of the English Thames
2a dialectal, England : pipit
b : any of various birds (as the meadowlark or the shoveler) that live in moist places
c : the Australian magpie lark (Grallina cyanoleuca) that makes mud nests
Definition of mudlark (Entry 2 of 2)
: to play, dig, or search in mud or on muddy ground had been out all the morning sailing cork boats and mudlarking in the marshes— Crosbie Garstin
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game