Definition of mountain beaver
: a bulky fossorial nocturnal rodent (Aplodontia rufa) of the uplands of the Pacific coast of North America having small ears and eyes and a rudimentary tail and superficially resembling the ground squirrels to which it is actually but distantly related being the sole recent survivor of a once extensive group (Aplodontoidea of the Sciuromorpha), of primitive rodents that first appeared in the Paleocene
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game