Definition of motivator
a : a factor or situation that causes people to feel motivated to do something : incentive Only a fool, though, would deny that money is a very real and basic need and, of course, a motivator of sorts.— Robert W. Corl Exercising with someone else … can be a motivator. — Joanne Lannin Andre Harris, without basketball as a motivator, had slipped back into bad habits academically. — John Feinstein
b : a person who motivates others But Romo's not an enabler; he's a motivator, says [Jessica] Simpson. "If I'm not feeling good about myself, he'll say, 'Get your butt up and go to the gym then!'"— Michelle Tan
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game