Definition of monkey orange
1 : either of two deciduous African shrubs or small trees (Strychnos innocua and Strychnos spinosa) having a hard globose fruit and edible pulp
Note: One species of monkey orange (Strychnos spinosa) is also called Natal orange.
2 : the fruit of a monkey orange
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?