monkey around with (something)phrasal verb
monkeyed around with; monkeying around with; monkeys around with (something)
Definition of monkey around with (something)
1 : to use or do (something) in a way that is not very serious He enjoys monkeying around with his car's engine.
2 : to handle or play with (something) in a careless or foolish way You shouldn't be monkeying around with dangerous chemicals.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game