mon·i·tress | \ ˈmänə‧trə̇s\
Definition of monitress
1 : a woman who admonishes or advises someone “Caroline,” said the stern monitress, “you are already learning to laugh at principles which have been dear to you since you left your mother's breast. … ”— Anthony Trollope, He Knew He Was Right, 1869
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?