Definition of molecular beam
: a stream of molecules that escape at thermal speeds from a heated enclosure, that are controlled by slits so as to move in nearly parallel paths, and that are used in determining the electric and magnetic properties of atoms, atomic nuclei, and molecules
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game