Definition of mofongo
: a Puerto Rican dish consisting of fried green plantains mashed with garlic, salt, and olive oil that is traditionally paired with meat or seafood and served with broth The "pot luck" style meal gave everyone an early sampling of the usual turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie as well as some traditional dishes from around the globe like fried rice and mofongo.— Frank Shala "I'm a mofongo addict," said [Luis "Domingo"] Almonte, alluding to the dish of garlicky, broth-anointed fried and mashed green plantains.— Erica Marcus and Corin Hirsch
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?