Definition of misquotation
: the act or an instance of quoting something or someone incorrectly In the book, Mr. Sullivan offers 10 common "mechanisms" that he says lead to misquotation and incorrect attribution.— Niraj Chokshi : an incorrect quotation "Play it again, Sam" is a famous misquotation. Bergman's character, Ilsa Lund, tells piano player Sam (Dooley Wilson): "Play it, Sam. Play As Time Goes By."— Jeffrey Sheban
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game