mise en placenoun
Definition of mise en place
: a culinary process in which ingredients are prepared and organized (as in a restaurant kitchen) before cooking Wash and chop vegetables the night before the party: Professionals call it mise en place; we call it making life easier. — Glamour Mise en place is the religion of all good line cooks.— Anthony Bourdain also : the set of ingredients prepared using this process The class's combined mise en place would amount to thirty-six pounds of mirepoix, big bags of all the other minces, chops, and dices … — Michael Ruhlman
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?