Definition of mise en place
: a culinary process in which ingredients are prepared and organized (as in a restaurant kitchen) before cooking Wash and chop vegetables the night before the party: Professionals call it mise en place; we call it making life easier. — Glamour Mise en place is the religion of all good line cooks.— Anthony Bourdain also : the set of ingredients prepared using this process The class's combined mise en place would amount to thirty-six pounds of mirepoix, big bags of all the other minces, chops, and dices … — Michael Ruhlman
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/22/19
- Is 'Positively' Positively Legal?
- The True Story of 'Realize' and 'Realise'
- Out to Sea with 'Wave' and 'Waive'
Ask the Editors
- Name that Food Quiz Take the quiz
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game