\ ˈmītə(v)ˌbin, -ītə-\
Definition of might-have-been
1 : something that might have happened who can calculate the might-have-beens— W. M. Thackeray reconstructs the might-have-beens of English and French elections— H. C. Mansfield
2 : a person who might have amounted to something or to more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?