Definition of methyl iodide
: a volatile pungent flammable heavy liquid compound CH3I that turns brown on exposure to light, that causes burning on contact with the skin and is poisonous on inhalation of the vapor, and that is made usually by interaction of methanol, red phosphorous, and iodine and used chiefly in organic synthesis; iodo-methane
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game