method of exclusion
Definition of method of exclusion
: a method in scientific induction which proceeds by the progressive exclusion of the nonessential antecedents by comparison of cases to find the essential residue or real cause also : a method that proceeds to the determination of the true principle by successive elimination as false of all the possible or plausible hypotheses except that one
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game