variants: or methane sulfonic acid
Definition of methanesulfonic acid
: a corrosive liquid acid CH4O3S that is used especially as a catalyst in chemical reactions (such as polymerization and esterification) Methanesulfonic acid has been developed as an esterification catalyst in place of sulfuric acid for the synthesis of resins in paints and coatings.— Stanley E. Manahan, Toxicological Chemistry and Biochemistry, 2003 The mesylate salt is obtained by reaction with methanesulfonic acid.— Anna M. Wodlinger, Remington: The Science and Practice of Pharmacy, 2005
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?