variants: or methane sulfonic acid
Definition of methanesulfonic acid
: a corrosive liquid acid CH4O3S that is used especially as a catalyst in chemical reactions (such as polymerization and esterification) Methanesulfonic acid has been developed as an esterification catalyst in place of sulfuric acid for the synthesis of resins in paints and coatings.— Stanley E. Manahan, Toxicological Chemistry and Biochemistry, 2003 The mesylate salt is obtained by reaction with methanesulfonic acid.— Anna M. Wodlinger, Remington: The Science and Practice of Pharmacy, 2005
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game