Definition of metallic soap
: a salt of a monocarboxylic acid (as a higher fatty acid, resin acid, naphthenic acid) and usually a bivalent or trivalent metal (as calcium, cobalt, zinc, copper, lead, aluminum) that typically is insoluble in water but soluble in benzene and that is used chiefly in lubricants or driers, in thickening, waterproofing, or flatting, or in fungicides
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game