Definition of mesityl
1 : a hypothetical radical C3H5 of which mesityl oxide was once regarded as the oxide and acetone as the hydroxide
2 : either of two univalent radicals C9H11 derived from mesitylene by removal of one hydrogen atom:
a : the substituted phenyl radical (CH3)3C6H2−
b : the substituted benzyl radical (CH3)2C6H3CH2−; 3,5-dimethyl-benzyl
— called also alpha-mesityl
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game