Definition of mescal bean
1 : peyote button
2a : a leguminous shrub or small tree (Sophora secundiflora) with alternate pinnate leaves often poisonous to livestock, flowers in dense one-sided racemes, and bright red narcotic seeds that resemble beans
— called also coral bean
b : a seed of this plant
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game