Definition of mercantile agency
1 : the agency of a factor who in the customary course of his business has authority binding on his principal to buy or to sell goods, to consign goods for sale, or to raise money by pledging goods
2 : an agency that collects credit information about businesses and businessmen and furnishes it to subscribers
— called also commercial agency
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?