Recent Examples of mental retardation from the Web
The Star Telegram reports an order was signed on Jan. 11 by Magistrate Rainey L. Webb to be examined for mental illness and mental retardation.
Tony says that Peyton has been diagnosed with mental retardation, autism, and attention deficit disorder.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'mental retardation.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use of mental retardation
medical Definition of mental retardation
- Caused by the presence of an extra chromosome, Down's often results in such abnormalities as weak muscle tone, short stature and a flattened nose, as well as mental retardation.
- —Fred Bernstein, People Weekly, 25 Apr. 1988
- … fragile X syndrome, the most common inherited cause of mental retardation, which draws its name from a chromosomal deformity in its sufferers.
- —John Rennie, Scientific American, March 1993
- Now age 25, she lives in a group home for mentally retarded adults.
- —Sandra Blakeslee, The New York Times, 2 Aug. 1994
- Patients are short and thin, mentally retarded and can have many other problems …
- —Sue Goetinck, The Dallas Morning News, 28 Aug. 1995
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up mental retardation? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).