First Known Use of mental retardation
medical Definition of mental retardation
- Caused by the presence of an extra chromosome, Down's often results in such abnormalities as weak muscle tone, short stature and a flattened nose, as well as mental retardation.
- —Fred Bernstein, People Weekly, 25 Apr. 1988
- … fragile X syndrome, the most common inherited cause of mental retardation, which draws its name from a chromosomal deformity in its sufferers.
- —John Rennie, Scientific American, March 1993
- Now age 25, she lives in a group home for mentally retarded adults.
- —Sandra Blakeslee, The New York Times, 2 Aug. 1994
- Patients are short and thin, mentally retarded and can have many other problems …
- —Sue Goetinck, The Dallas Morning News, 28 Aug. 1995
Learn More about mental retardation
Britannica.com: Encyclopedia article about mental retardation
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up mental retardation? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).