Definition of mendicant order
: any of various religious orders (as the Franciscans, Dominicans, Carmelites, or Augustinians) in which monastic life and outside religious activity are combined and in which neither personal nor community tenure of property is allowed under original regulations though less stringent regulations regarding the ownership and use of property now usually prevail
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?