Definition of mendicant order
: any of various religious orders (as the Franciscans, Dominicans, Carmelites, or Augustinians) in which monastic life and outside religious activity are combined and in which neither personal nor community tenure of property is allowed under original regulations though less stringent regulations regarding the ownership and use of property now usually prevail
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game