mem·branu·la | \ memˈbrānyələ, -ran- \
variants: or less commonly membranule \ ˈmembrəˌn(y)ül , memˈbrān(ˌ)yül \
Definition of membranula
: a fine structure like a membranelle formed by the fusion of a few long cilia (as in the posterior ciliary ring of vorticellids)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game