Definition of meet-cute
: a cute, charming, or amusing first encounter between romantic partners (as in a movie) A “meet-cute” was a staple of romantic comedies back then, where boy meets girl in a particular way, and sparks fly.— Billy Wilder, quoted in The Paris Review Interviews, Spring 1996 In a meet-cute that's one of the movie's few contrived moments, Alex is banging away hopelessly at the piano when Sophie Fisher (Drew Barrymore) shows up at his apartment to water his plants.— Dana Stevens, Slate, 14 Feb. 2007
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game