meet one's makeridiomatic phrase
variants: or meet one's Maker
Definition of meet one's maker
: to die "… I was so convinced at one point that I was about ready to be a goner, I mean to meet my maker. … "— Bill Johnson — often used figuratively My old car has finally gone to meet its maker.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game