matter in pais
Definition of matter in pais
1 : matter to be proved solely by the testimony of witnesses unsupported by any judicial record, deed, or other written or tangible evidence
2 : matter giving rise to an equitable estoppel or estoppel in pais
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game