ma·tron·ize | \ ˈmā‧trəˌnīz\
Definition of matronize
1 : to give the qualities of a matron to : cause to be a matron was matronized by her children and her responsibilities
2a : to act as a matron to or toward : superintend or attend in the capacity of a matron especially : chaperone offered to matronize the young people
b : to preside as a matron over matronizing the reception
1 : to become a matron
2 : to fulfill the role of a matron
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game