ma·ter lec·ti·o·nis | \ ¦mätə(r)ˌlektēˈōnə̇s\
plural matres lectionis\ ˈmä‧ˌtrāˌsl- \
Definition of mater lectionis
: the alphabetic signs א (\ʔ\), ה (\h\), ו (\w\), and י (\y\) in Hebrew which assist in indicating the vocalization in an originally consonantal writing system
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game