Definition of matched order
: one of two orders designed to create artificial activity in the stock market:
a : an order placed by an individual through one broker to buy usually at an above-market price a number of shares of stock that the individual intends to sell at once at the same price through another broker
b : the order placed by the individual to sell stock that has been so bought
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game