master of the rolls
Definition of master of the rolls
: a high official of the British judiciary having custody of the records of the Court of Chancery and important patents and grants and serving usually as presiding judge of the Court of Appeal and also as a member of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council — compare lord chancellor, lord chief justice of england
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game