mar·tyr·i·um | \ märˈtirēəm\
plural martyria\ -ēə \
Definition of martyrium
1 : a building or chamber used by the early Christians as a burial place
2 : a place where the relics of martyrs are preserved
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?