variants: or marsh holywort \ -ˈ⸗⸗ˌ⸗ \
Definition of marsh holy-rose
: a small glabrous erect shrub (Andromeda polifolia) that spreads by creeping rhizomes, has dark green foliage and nodding pink flowers, and is widely distributed in wet areas of northern and arctic regions
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game