Definition of marsh hare
1 : a small hare (Sylvilagus palustris) that is larger than the cottontail with slender less hairy feet and is found in marshy places along the U.S. coast from North Carolina to Florida
2a : muskrat
b : the flesh of the muskrat —used especially when offered for sale for use as human food
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game