variants: or less commonly marriage brokage
Definition of marriage brokerage
1a : the act of negotiating or arranging a marriage contract between a man and woman in return for a consideration
b : the business of arranging such contracts
2 : the fee paid for the services of a marriage broker any contract for which is void at common law
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game