variants: or less commonly marabout
Definition of marabou
1a : a soft feathery fluffy material prepared from turkey feathers or the coverts of marabous and used especially for trimming women's hats or clothes
b marabou : a large dark gray African stork (Leptoptilos crumeniferus) that has a distensible pouch of pink skin at the front of the neck and feeds especially on carrion
— called also marabou stork
2a : silk composed of several twisted threads that is dyed before the sericin has been removed
b : a fabric made of this silk
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game