Definition of manna lichen
1 : any of several Old World lichens of the genus Lecanora (especially L. esculenta, L. affinis, and L. fruticulosa) that have semicrustaceous scaly-foliose or fruticose thalli that roll up and are blown about often in large quantities over the African and Arabian deserts and are much used there for food by people and animals
2 : a lichen (Gyrophora esculenta) used in Japan for food
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game