Definition of manna lichen
1 : any of several Old World lichens of the genus Lecanora (especially L. esculenta, L. affinis, and L. fruticulosa) that have semicrustaceous scaly-foliose or fruticose thalli that roll up and are blown about often in large quantities over the African and Arabian deserts and are much used there for food by people and animals
2 : a lichen (Gyrophora esculenta) used in Japan for food
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?