Definition of mancipation
a : the act of enslaving
b : involuntary servitude : slavery
2 Roman law
a : an early form of ceremonial conveyance under the jus civile involving the balance scales, bronze money, a balance holder, and five citizens as witnesses in which persons and property (as Italic lands, slaves, beasts of burden, rural praedial servitudes, children under potestas, and various women) subject to the ceremony were transferred by one Roman citizen into the power and control of another — compare mancipium
b : mancipatory will
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?