variants: or less commonly manbarklac \ ˈmanˌbärˌklak \
Definition of manbarklak
1 : any of numerous usually large tropical American trees constituting a genus (Eschweilera) that is closely related to Lecythis and has smooth leathery leaves, brightly colored flowers in panicles or racemes, and large operculate fruits with sessile seeds often containing bitter kernels
2 : the very hard heavy reddish brown wood of various manbarklaks that is used especially in marine construction and valued for its resistance to borers
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game