plural men-of-the-earth or men-of-the-earths
Definition of man-of-the-earth
1 : an American morning glory (Ipomoea pandurata) having an enormous starchy root
— called also manroot, wild potato
2 : a long rooted morning glory (Ipomoea leptophylla) of the western U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game