malt·ol | \ ˈmȯlˌtōl, -tȯl\
Definition of maltol
: a crystalline compound C6H6O3 derived from gamma-pyrone, found especially in pine needles, larch bark, and chicory, and formed when streptomycin is hydrolyzed and when barley and other grains are roasted
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game