Definition of malt extract
1 : a sugary mucilaginous substance obtained from wort
2a : a sweet light-brown syrupy liquid prepared by infusing malt with water and evaporating and used chiefly in medicine and foods also : a powder made by drying this liquid
b : a weak alcoholic preparation made like beer but darker in color and thicker in consistency
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game