variants: or less commonly malleable cast iron
Definition of malleable iron
: cast iron containing usually from 2 to 3 percent carbon and 1.5 to 0.8 percent silicon and produced by annealing white cast iron of this composition in order to convert hard brittle cementite to graphite in nodular form so that the material will have greater ductility than white iron or ordinary gray iron containing graphite in flake form
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?