make forphrasal verb
made for; making for; makes for
Definition of make for
1 : to go toward (a place) quickly Everyone made for the exit as soon as the show was over. After he left the office he made straight for home.
2 : to cause (something) to happen or to be more likely Courtesy makes for safer driving.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game