make a chill/shiver run up/down someone's spineidiom
Definition of make a chill/shiver run up/down someone's spine
: to make someone feel very thrilled, frightened, etc. Her superb singing made a shiver run up my spine. The very thought of the horror those people caused makes a chill run down my spine.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game