make a big thing about/out of (something)idiom
Definition of make a big thing about/out of (something)
: to act as if something is very important or serious when it is not Don't make such a big thing about missing the bus: there'll be another one along in a minute. It was a minor error, but she made a big thing out of it.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game