make (a) nonsense ofidiom
Definition of make (a) nonsense of
: to cause (something) to no longer be effective : to take away the value or usefulness of (something) The lack of guards makes a nonsense of the security checkpoint.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game