ma·ha·leb | \ ˈmä(h)əˌleb\
variants: or less commonly mahaleb cherry
Definition of mahaleb
: a small slender European cherry (Prunus mahaleb) that has pure white fragrant flowers in racemes and small inferior fruits from which a dye and a cordial are sometimes made and that is grown for use as an understock in grafting cultivated cherries
— called also Saint Lucie cherry
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Looking at ‘Bothsidesing’
- On ‘Infringe,’ ‘Encroach,’ and ‘Impinge’
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/20/19
- A Note on the Nonbinary 'They'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?